Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Project Control Specialist
at Kinder Morgan.
• Perform activities necessary as project control specialist for a broad range of natural gas facility projects including high pressure transmission pipelines, compression, metering, storage, gathering, treating, and processing. The Specialist will work with team members of Project Management (PM), Business Development, Operations, Accounting and external contractors to ensure that the project’s objectives are met in terms of Budget and Cost Control and assist with tracking and reporting the project’s deliverables and targets.
Essential job duties and responsibilities:
• Participate in regular meetings with project managers to understand and monitor project activities to provide accurate and timely project forecasting and cost reporting. These duties include, but are not limited to generating project status reports, material expediting, invoice tracking (payment review and issue resolution with external contractors), facilitating required monthly accruals for goods/services received, account reconciliations and various other project costs related activities.
• Review project costs for compliance with company and department guidelines, processes and procedures and provide direction to the project team of any adjustments needed to accurately forecast project costs.
• Monitor project compliance with contractual terms and schedule.
• Analyze and evaluate project costs and cash flow forecasts to report significant variances, trends, and irregularities, including documenting the causes/driver of variances to Management, Project Managers and business sponsors.
• Determine project cost trends and potential solutions to cost impact or delays and notify PM of potential problem areas.
• Report and analyze project progress using earned value basis.
• Support the development of the annual Project Management project budget and long range plan.
• Occasional special projects may be assigned by management.
*Position may be filled at various levels depending on experience and job skills of successful candidate.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
• Equivalent related industry experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Experience / specific knowledge:
• Must understand the overall concepts of project cost forecasting and budgets including the generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP) related to the reporting of project costs and basic terminology of a project’s principle practices.
• Must be familiar with unit rates, material and equipment pricing, labor pricing and other estimate components and techniques.
• Must be able to understand and adapt to the needs of the Project Manager and business unit(s) for which development work is being performed.
Certifications, licenses, registrations:
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
Competencies, skills, and abilities:
• Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including but not limited to the ability to present ideas and results to internal and external customers.
• Demonstrated relationship management including the ability to influence others.
• Attention to detail, accuracy, completeness and meeting deadlines and commitments is critical.
• Understanding of basic economic analysis as it pertains to project justification.
• Basic to Intermediate proficiency level in Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Office Suite general products.
• Ability to work with a cross-functional team with tact, courtesy and professionalism.
• Excellent time management and organization skills including the ability to successfully prioritize/manage multiple tasks, and work with minimal direct supervision.
• Willingness to ensure ongoing improvement through evaluation of current processes.
• Must maintain a regular, dependable attendance and high level of performance.
• Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
• Willingness to work overtime, as needed to ensure deadlines are met.
• Employee must be physically capable of completing and satisfying all training requirements as stipulated by local, state or federal agencies and/or Company Policy.
• Majority of the work will be conducted in an office environment.
• Availability to travel to multiple sites throughout the United States. Travel will be limited and on an exception basis.
Preferred education, experience, certifications, competencies, skills, and abilities:
Above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position:
• Familiarity with the natural gas industry and a basic understanding of upstream, midstream and downstream projects
• AACE Certification
• Project scheduling and estimating experience
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
• Familiarity with MS Office Access and Project
• Knowledge of Lawson Applications
• Knowledge of Lawson DataMart and ESSBASE applications
As the largest energy infrastructure company in North America, Kinder Morgan owns an interest in or operates approximately 80,000 miles of pipelines and 180 terminals. Our pipelines transport natural gas, refined petroleum products, crude oil, carbon dioxide (CO2) and more. Our assets are core to North American energy infrastructure and help deliver needed energy products to high-demand markets.
The Kinder Morgan businesses are as follows:
Natural Gas Pipelines
With approximately 70,000 miles of pipelines, we are the largest natural gas transporter and storage operator in the United States. Our pipelines are connected to every important natural gas resource play, including the Eagle Ford, Marcellus, Utica, Uinta, Haynesville, Fayetteville, Barnett, Mississippi Lime and Woodford, that will play a significant role in meeting the nation’s long term natural gas supply. We serve the major consuming markets of the entire United States. Key assets include premier interstate pipelines that stretch from coast to coast and a huge intrastate pipeline system in Texas, the state which is the largest producer and consumer of natural gas in the United States.
We are the leading transporter and marketer of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the United States. We deliver approximately 1.3 billion cubic feet per day of CO2 through about 1,300 miles of pipelines. We also produce more than 50,000 barrels of oil per day. Key assets include CO2 source fields in southwestern Colorado, pipelines that transport CO2 from Colorado to New Mexico and Texas, and oil production fields in the Permian Basin of West Texas.
We transport about more than 2 Million barrels daily of gasoline, jet fuel, diesel, natural gas liquids and biofuels through more than 8,000 miles of pipelines. Key assets include refined petroleum pipelines and terminal storage and blending systems that serve California, Florida and other states in the western and southeastern United States. We also transport crude and condensate from the Eagle Ford shale to the Houston Ship Channel. Specific to renewable fuels, our Products and Terminals business segments combined handle about 30 percent of all of the ethanol used in the United States.
We operate approximately 180 terminals that have a combined liquids storage capacity of more than 110 million barrels for refined petroleum products, crude oil, chemicals and biofuels. We also handle over 105 million tons per year of dry bulk materials such as coal, petroleum coke and steel. Key assets include large liquids terminals on the Houston Ship Channel and in New York Harbor, Los Angeles Harbor and Edmonton, Alberta, as well as strategically located coal terminals in the Southeast and along the Gulf Coast.
Kinder Morgan Canada
Our Trans Mountain pipeline system originates in Edmonton, Alberta, and is the only oil sands pipeline that transports crude oil and refined petroleum to Vancouver, British Columbia, and Washington State. We have proposed and are pursuing a major expansion of Trans Mountain.
As a market leader in each of our businesses, we are always looking for skilled professionals to join our team. When you join Kinder Morgan, you join a different kind of Energy Company. We tie financial incentives for our employees directly to the performance of the company and their own personal performances. At Kinder Morgan, you will find a dynamic and safe work environment that promotes career growth and recognizes achievements.
Join the Kinder Morgan Talent Network today and check out our current opportunities!
What is a Talent Network?
Talent Networks enhance your job search and application process. Whether you choose to apply or just leave your information, we look forward to staying connected with you.