Service Corporation International
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Funeral Director Apprentice
at Service Corporation International
- Associate Requisition ID
- # of Openings
- Category (Portal Searching)
Overview & Responsibilities
SCI is certified as a Great Place to Work® by the Great Place to Work Institute. In a recent survey, our associates said that their work has special meaning and is not “just a job”. We currently have a part time opening for a Funeral Director, Apprentice at Memorial Park Funeral Home in Oklahoma City, OK. This is the opportunity to be part of the Dignity Memorial® provider network and grow your career in the funeral, cremation and cemetery services business. For us, there is no greater responsibility than celebrating each life like no other and making a difference in the lives of people we serve.
This position interacts directly with client families during their time of need and is expected to assist the Funeral Director/Manager in creating and maintaining a premier level of client family satisfaction.
- Learn to arrange and conduct funeral and memorial ceremonies in a professional, organized and caring manner and in keeping with Company Policies and Procedures
- Adhere to all Company and regulatory requirements
- Care for the deceased in a respectful manner while performing a variety of tasks which may include: transfers, lifting of deceased human remains, dressing and casketing; coordinating and assisting with funeral service and visitation, delivery of flowers, caskets, urn, photos and other personal keepsakes or mementos of client families and setting of chairs and the removal, proper care and storage of these items
- Assist with funeral services by supervising the parking of cars, ushering, driving funeral vehicles, assisting at chapel and church services, assisting at the cemetery, floral delivery, picking up supplies, participating at special functions and other duties, as required
- Promote a safe work environment by being aware of and practicing universal precautions and adopting general principles of safe conduct
- Aftercare includes delivery of death certificates, documentation, pre-arrangements for next of kin
- Prepare documents related to services, cremations, maintenance, and any other type of data entry
- Office duties such as operating fax machine, computer, multiline phone system, debit card machine, typewriter, postage meter and scale and stereo/video system may be required to be operated from time to time
- Assist with the maintenance of vehicles, the facility and property; receive caskets and other funeral home supplies as well as place into inventory and carry out other responsibilities that may be reasonably delegated by management
- Answer phones, prepare reports as necessary and participate in staff meetings
- Other duties as directed by management
Requirements & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ideal candidate has recently completed or is currently enrolled in an accredited Mortuary Program
- Desire for PT employment as an apprentice in a Funeral Director role
- Funeral industry experience is a plus
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs +
- Valid driver's license and a good driving record
- Previous customer service and/or sales experience would be a definite asset
- Knowledge of computers and some software is required (Windows & Microsoft Office)
- High level of compassion and integrity
- Good communication and problem solving skills
- Professional and team player
- Must be able to work weekdays, evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to pass both the National Board exams and the State Funeral Board exams at the appropriate time
Who we are. What we do.
We’re more than North America’s largest provider of funeral, cremation and cemetery services. We are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters who are devoted to the communities where we live and work. We are more than 20,000 dedicated individuals who provide caring assistance to families in need, honor veterans and public servants and deliver lifesaving programs to help keep children and seniors safe.
We operate under the umbrella of the Dignity Memorial network of 1,800 funeral homes and cemeteries. Dignity Memorial providers care for more than 300,000 families each year and understand the importance of thoughtful, personalized arrangements. We believe creating meaningful ways to pay tribute to a loved one begins with compassion and is shaped by the understanding that each life is truly unique. For us, there is no greater responsibility than honoring and preserving the story of one’s life.
SCI offers advanced on-line training resources, career advancement opportunities in the largest organization in the industry, attractive benefits, and a wonderful community to serve with plenty of culture and personality. For additional information regarding our company, please visit our corporate site at www.sci-corp.com.
As used herein, “SCI” refers to Service Corporation International and its affiliated companies.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V